Thursday, December 18, 2008

12-16th of December 2008

I never thought that I would get the chance to see Uganda or Kenya when I was planning this trip, but such is the way things go, I would have been satisfied to have taken in all the wonders of Tanzania, but now my hunger is increasing with more opportunity. We have planned a comprehensive trip of the 'pearl of Africa' (Uganda) comprehensive in that we have a number of spots that each of us wants to see and the rest is up to the wind... our trip has scheduled stops in Kenya, we are going to thoroughly take in the sights of east Africa. I love road trips, they are uncertain, promise so much, especially this one.. us three amigos Lawrence, Jim and myself have become good friends within the last month, we are tight and have been through a lot, we share dinners, discussions, drinks, outings and the daily complaints and philosophies of life, we have a regular spot where we meet after our various days for food and the odd beer or two. 'juhudi' it has become one of the centres of my daily routines and is iconic to my experience in Dar at least for almost a month now.. It feels like we are about to begin an adventure akin to 'on the road' by Jack Kerouac there is that kind of optimism and adventurous will about us our trek across East Africa! It is unlike the tourist treks that travel these parts often, ours is set to be unique but similar in a way, we do have our own local guide the bold, big thinking Lawrence, he never leaves a stone unturned and me and Jim are foreigners so in that sense we are 'tourists' but talking at length we want a more full African experience out of it all, Christmas and New years like never before.... an ever lasting adventure, these kind of trips can drain you, but they are always intoxicatingly addictive. reminds me of my non-stop adventures across the U.S of A excitement to excitement, wonder to wonder, hell I gotta stop counting my chickens, I get carried away.
Plans falling into place, school term is winding down ,my duties and loose ends are being tied, we get visas from the grand High Commission of Uganda, bus tickets from the busy and once again chaotic bus station. Trips to Internet cafes, topping up my phone to contact the principle of my next school, using Internet from friends air conditioned work places after school, sometimes dabbling with the library facilities keeping that constant stream of contact strong. Enjoying classic moments each and every day with kids of all ages in my differing roles, talking at length, joking at length with all teachers listening and picking up as much insight and information as I can from everyone no matter who, each person a new experience and like a blink the wonder turns to memory, others are fixed for longer, the giving and friendly acceptance of one who was once a complete stranger. The next school principle is super excited, can't wait to meet me, a change of scene is promised and organised. Mt Kilimanjaro also looms after the 'Ugandan odyssey' a weeks climb through multiple levels of differing terrain, from rain forest, to snow capped peaks, ahhhh the table top of Africa, made more affordable by making sure it is under the guise of a school trip. The next principle mentions the possibility of safari trips, did someone say that luck is on my side, I think so! Aiesec is organising a conference on Zanzibar before I leave so that will be my big finale to this whole thing, still a way off, I wonder what kind of shock it would be to hit real life again in New Zealand and back to school? I focus back on the imminent future and the possibilities, traveling Africa has never been so real.

No comments: